If you are thinking of using cloth diapers instead of disposables I'll save you a lot of time on research. Get pocket cloth diapers. I'll repeat that again get pocket cloth diapers!
If you are new to the whole cloth diapering thing I'll sum it up for you.
1) There are three main types of cloth diapers: prefolds, pockets, and All In Ones (AIO).
2) Prefolds are what most people imagine when they think of cloth diapers. Bulky and in my opinon a pain to deal with (compared to pocket and disposable diapers). If you want more information on prefolds I suggest googling it. I should mention they are the cheapest option of the three types.
3) AIO diapers take a LONG time to dry in the dryer. Also, the ones I liked were much more expensive than pockets and prefolds.
4) Pocket diapers are almost as simple as an AIO minus the price tag and drying issues.
Now I could go into great detail on the different types, but I won't since there are countless posts on the Internet that do just that. What I will tell you is why we decided to go with Fuzzi Bunz One Size (not Perfect Size) cloth diapers.
1) They have a high resell value and are generally harder to find used than other cloth diapers. I assume this is because people keep them to use with multiple kids. If I ever wanted to sell our diapers I'm confident I could without a problem.
2) They have numerous areas on the diaper that can be adjusted to fit your child better (back waist adjustable elastic, adjustable elastic leg area, and snaps that change the rise and run of the diaper).
3) They fit most kids from newborn through potty training. So I only needed to buy ONE set of diapers. To give you an idea of sizing, my son currently fits a size 5 disposable diaper and he still has room to grow more into his cloth diapers.
4) After 4 months of using cloth instead of disposables, we save about $100/month. Including shipping, the cost of 24 Fuzzi Bunz One Size diapers was about $400.
I could go on and on but I will stop there. Hopefully, my straight forward answers will be helpful to some of you.