As my son got older we started to add a few more activities to our list. If any of these do not make sense to you please let me know and I would be happy to update this post.
Playtime Activities - 17-21 months
- Peekaboo with Mom or Dad
- Play with CD boom box and tape player (watch out if it's plugged into the wall)
- Walk around the neighborhood
- Check out neighborhood steps, cars, and animals (doggies & kitties)
- Visit with neighbors
- Watch airplanes and cars in motion
- Push kids shopping cart around
- Crawls through tunnel
- Ball - throw, hide, push around in cart, rolls through tunnel
- Climbs up and down the couch
- Enjoys squeezing through tight spaces
- Tickle time
- Music & Dance time
- Close household doors
- Turn dials on the washer & dryer
- Water the plants
- Grocery shopping in cart
- Walk around the store (don't forget shoes)
- Social event (2 hours max)
- Car ride ^^
- Visit the library (crawl up and down the stairs, ride in the elevator)
- Go through letters and numbers while in the bath
*At this point we mostly flip through the pages instead of reading them
^^ Try to limit length of drive since most toddlers this age don't want to sit still that long and get fussy!
Note: Mealtime can also be a good time to introduce books. I read to my son everytime he is in his highchair. His favorite books are "Dog want to play ball"', "Green eggs and ham"', and "Jamberry".
Naps are a bit more consistent but so is resistance to said nap.
Nap time is between. 12:45 and 1:00pm. There were a few days where scheduling made naps impossible. On those days we kept him incredibly busy the hour and half before bed. Otherwise a complete meltdown would occur.